Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Wanted: Philosopher

I started to dream of becoming a lawyer at the age of seven. I was in grade two and my mom wrote the name of my grandfather in a small envelope to be given to the church for "prayers for the dead." I was amazed with the combination of letters written before the first name of my grandfather - ATTY. It was then that I realized that I want to have that same title. Without knowing what lawyers actually do, I told myself that I'm going to be a great lawyer... and own hectares of land, luxurious house, luxurious car, and big bucks. I used to say "Gusto kong ipagtanggol ang mga naaapi" - as if I'm a sort of a superwoman. This statement remained, however, meaningless to me.

Years passed and I still had the same dream. I had a penchant for the architecture, but I never thought of becoming an architect. I knew back then that the want for something does not necessitate the pursuit of it, especially when the desire for a title (i.e. "atty.") was of higher importance. To cure the longing that I have for the arts, particularly for drawing, I took Drafting classes in high school. My classmates were those who were thinking of a career in the field of architecture, engineering, interior design, and fine arts. I, on the other hand, was thinking of a career in law. Drafting classes for me were just means to pursue a passion I thought would die down as the pursuit of title begins.

In my second year in high school, I began to fall in love with science. Because I was then taking Biology subject, I then thought of becoming a biologist who would specialize in Genetics. In third year, the love for Chemistry superseded the love for Biology. I then decided that I would study Chemical Engineering in college. This love that I had for science is simultaneous with my love for computers. Back then, I represented the school in different competitions concerning computers. What I love about computers is the fact that I could use them to express my passion for the multimedia arts. When the software Flash was still unknown to many (about 2000 / 2001), I used the same in creating movies, cartoons, and even presentations for school reports.

For some reasons I did not know though, I still wanted to become a lawyer. Hence, when I took the UPCAT in August of 2002, I made the following choice of campuses and courses - First choice of Campus: UPLB, Courses: BS Chemical Engineering, and BA Philosophy; Second Choice of Campus: UP Baguio, Courses: BS Biology, and BS Computer Science. Too bad the UPCAT was held in August when the school year had just begun. Had it been held some time in January, I would have considered BS Applied Physics because I also fell in love with Physics in my fourth year in high school. The UPCAT results were released in February. I made it to my first choice of campus, with the course BA Philosophy. "Great," I said. "I'm going to be a lawyer." But the only thing that I knew about Philosophy back then was that it is a good pre-law course, it being my cousin's pre-law course.

Then came college, the happiest stage in my student life. For the first few months, I considered Philosophy merely as a means to an end - a law degree. Then I realized its utility. But this sort of utility is not the same as what other courses would bring. Philosophy will not bring you money. It will try to answer your questions, but it will not provide certain answers to your queries. In most cases, the questions will be answered with more questions. The lack of apparent utility in Philosophy makes one think of its futility. Hence, the problem with the philosophy program not only in UPLB, but in other schools as well.


The reason why I loved or love so many disciplines might be because I love Philosophy even during the time when I did not know what Philosophy is. I love knowledge. I love learning. I love wisdom.

I am into the growth of the mind, and I never want to believe in something just because somebody or some authority tells me so. I know that this field does not guaranty a high-paying job someday, but it made me realize that there is a lot more to this world than the mundane joy that we experience. It made me realize that there is more to the study of law than mere statutory provisions; that there is more to lawyering than just obtaining title or monetary benefits. It made me realize the importance of critical thinking in every aspect of our lives. It made me realize that there is more to me than just being me - that I could be a better me.

The love for Philosophy does not necessitate being an armchair philosopher or armchair academician. Anyone may do philosophy. But then again, it will not give you money.    

No comments: