Thursday, June 5, 2008

Vow of Celibacy

After more than two years of working for one of the leading insurance companies, my brother finally resigned from his post. He relinquished his high-paying job and its corollaries - travel opportunities, bigger bucks and possibility of promotion for one thing: for his pursuit of happiness. But what is happiness as he perceives it?

There were offers from other big companies. Most of the offers are managerial posts, with higher pays. There was even a company that offered to double the salary he used to earn. But of the many offers, he chose to teach in UPLB. His former work-mates said he chose a noble job. I say he is indeed my brother.

With his decision of accepting a job with salary that’s way less than his previous salary, I asked him "what’s this, vow of poverty?" To which he answered, "No, it’s vow of…" "Celibacy," I joked. But with his decision, he’s actually becoming celibate - becoming unmarried to the working life devoted to mere earning.

Which makes me understand that his concept of happiness is Happiness - a life devoted not to money, fame or power, but to the authentication of being, of self-growth, of a life with purpose.

And yes, he is indeed my brother. And we both made a vow of celibacy.

No comments: