Friday, June 6, 2008

sourgrapers' game

To those who were unable of making it to the UP College of Law - either by flunking the interview or simply by not making it to the interview, that is, flunking LAE - it would be redeeming to play the sourgrapers' game, the game of filling in the blanks. Some would say, "magsisisi ang UP," which I used to tell myself. But to complete the sentence below by filling in the blank would be self-redeeming with less appearance of graping.

Now, fill in the blank: "__________ (School of Law / College of Law) saw something in me that UP College of Law didn't." LAE flunkers who are now in other law schools would fill the blank in with their schools' names. The 2007 Bar topnotcher would fill it in with Ateneo. Some UP grads would fill it in with San Beda.

Two to three years ago, as a young UP student, I tend to say "UP or never," just like what others tend to say. I further tend to think that UP grads who are in other law schools are jut LAE-flunkers. But not anymore. LAE-flunkers go to other schools not because they flunked LAE. They do because their want to pursue law overrides the fact that they want to spend four more years in UP.

San Beda College of Law saw/sees something in me that UP College of Law didn't. And I'm not saying this as a flunker graping over not making it to UP Law. Those who consider themselves flunkers merely by flunking an exam aren't for law school. I am not a flunker for that matter. My want to become a lawyer supersedes my want to spend four years in Malcolm. I'm used to trees in UP, but I guess I'd soon love the corridors in Beda. Mendiola's not that crowdy, anyway.


No comments: