Sunday, July 20, 2008

Iska in Beda

(an overdue post this is - a fact chargeable to law school)

------------------
It is hard for me to speak of San Beda without having at least a thought about UP. That is even when I am now a Bedista. It is not “If I were in UP Law...” thoughts, which are indicative of wanting to be in UP Law; but more of the observance of UP culture in Beda.

I just discovered that UP outnumber other colleges and universities in terms of graduates that are now enrolled in San Beda Law. Of about more or less 350 law freshmen, almost 90 graduated from UP. We outnumber graduates of San Beda (80+ graduates) and of La Salle (60+). We also outnumber Ateneo that only has 11 graduates enrolled in Beda Law. A fact which almost makes San Beda College of Law an extension of UP.

My seatmate in the orientation commented, “mapapansin mong marami tayong kadugo.” Even the current chair / president of the Law Student Government is obviously from UP. Having wrongly called the “pink form” as “form 5,” and having said that she was used to “tsinelas,” but now have to deal with the dress code, isko's and iska's felt a great sense of “lukso ng dugo.”

The apparent obviousness of the idea that I was searching for UP-ness in Beda is brought by the fact that I am using the perspective of, because I am, an “Iska in Beda.” But still, I am hoping to become a true-blue Bedista – in name and in essence.

No comments: